Sunday 21 April 2013

Mad Men Challenge - the Trudy Dress

When I saw that Julia Bobbin had announced a second Mad Men Challenge, I was pretty excited.  I missed last years one as it was pre-blogging and before even discovering all the amazing sewing blogs out there!

My only problem was what to make, I love a good Joan dress, but I am not sure the shape would suit me without some serious foundation garments.  Then there is Peggy and Betty who both have some great dresses.  The outfits I considered are on my Pinterest board.  For some reason the character whose outfits I seem to be drawn to most are Trudy's wonderful and patterned shirtdresses.  I do love me a great shirtdress!

Could she look more stunning? 

I had a pattern in my stash already which perfectly matches this, even down to the welts and cuff turnups.

IMG_2001

I didn't even try to match the fabric with the inspiration as those colours don't work with my colouring, but instead went with a pretty vintage inspired floral print I bought from fabric.com last year.  The pattern was in my size but I even did a quick muslin of the bodice to sort out any potential fit issues (I am getting good at doing this muslin business).  I ended up narrowing the shoulders by 2cm and shortening the bodice between the bust and shoulders by about 1.5cm.  The rest of the measurements were perfect, even the waist! Quelle surprise!

IMG_2021

I am loving the result and the fit is perfect, plus the fabric has just the tiniest bit of give making it super comfortable as well.  Couldn't be happier!

IMG_2025

The bodice has some cool details like welts on either side, not welt pockets, but who would use that area as a pocket anyway, not sure that I need more bulk in that department!! 

I made a matching belt - can you see it?  It matches almost too well!!

IMG_2004

I changed the construction a little as it is supposed to fasten with the front buttons and then you are supposed to cut a vent in the skirt of about 10cm/3" to help you get in the dress.  That would have resulted in a crazy gap right over my lady bits and way too dangerous for wardrobe malfunctions! Instead I sewed up the waistband without the strange vent and put in an invisible side zipper, much safer!! I also took some of the fullness out of the skirt as I didn't have enough fabric, it is supposed to have about another metre in width, but I am pretty sure that might swamp me.

Now I just think I need to make a crinoline to go underneath - have you seen Rachel's tutorial?  Also, storage top tip from Dolly Clackett via Twitter is to roll and bag them, not hang them so they keep their fluffiness.

IMG_2002
photobombed!!

Thanks for holding the challenge Julia, it was super fun and now I can channel my inner Trudy goddess!!


 

24 comments:

  1. This is really pretty and what a great pattern match to the inspiation dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will definitely make this pattern again

      Delete
  2. Your dress is fab! I do like the fabric, and the belt is great. I can see how the front vent would have been an issue, makes me wonder what the pattern designer was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress. The fabric is amazing. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you chose Trudy's dress; she is one of my favourite characters on Madmen. Finding the perfect pattern was 'meant to be' and I really like your dress and how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is great isn't she? Bit of a domestic goddess

      Delete
  5. Love your Trudy dress. Looks fabulous on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your fabric choice it definitely suits you. Such a gorgeous dress its so unique and looks so pretty on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have had some lovely comments when I have been out in it

      Delete
  7. I love Trudy and her fab dresses! Yours is just as fab! Great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy is great isn't she? But she is married to a tool

      Delete
  8. Trudy is the style sleeper of the show- hidden in the back sometimes but she never looks less than enviable- and you look enviable too in this- nicely done!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is always so well put together and such the domestic goddess

      Delete
  9. Niiice. Love that fabric and the silhouette you're cutting in it! Gotta go for the self-fabric belts too, they're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the self-fabric belts, I will buy some more kits in the US, they are so cheap there and readily available

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! I love this! You really rock shirtdresses-- it looks amazing on you! But I can't imagine another meter of fabric in that skirt-- wow, that would be VERY full!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so lovely! That's a great style on you and the fabric suits the pattern very well. Love that matching belt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I adore Trudy's dresses too and you pull off this silhouette so nicely. Love the added touch of the self-fabric belt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete